De L'Europe Amsterdam
Timeless glamour in the city center
What it is
Classical opulence—with a cool streak.
What it isn't
Stiff. Grande dame status doesn't always mean stuffy.
What we think
The Amstel River bends around De L’Europe, making the grand old hotel look like a moat-equipped palace, with top-hatted doormen and crystal chandeliers adding to the regal feel. If that makes it sound chilly, it’s not: The smiling staff is ever-helpful, and deeply saturated hues—scarlet, jade, chrysanthemum—brighten the 111 rooms. The hotel embraces its past elegantly (the building dates to the 1400s), avoiding any hint of stuffiness. Giant recreations of Dutch Masters paintings hang throughout, but it turns out that breeches and billowing sleeves mix well with bold, solid-colored Art Deco–ish furnishings. The hotel is home to Bord'Eau, one of Amsterdam's finest French restaurants, and to Freddy's, a bar with a wall of artisan jenevers (Dutch gins).. Named for Freddy Heineken, whose family owns the hotel, it has a lively local scene.
You're here because
You want a solid sense of grandeur with a healthy dose of contemporary cool.
You tie back the heavy, midnight blue drapes and pause in front of the massive window, enchanted by the twilight. As the city's lights flicker to life, their reflections glimmer in the river below. Magical.
Right on the banks of the Amstel River, across from the Bloemenmarkt, De L'Europe is right in the center of the Canal Zone and about a 10- to 15-minute walk to Museumplein.
Restaraunts & Bars
- 2 star Michelin Bord’Eau fine dining experience (no 3 star Michelin restaurants in Amsterdam)
- Hoofdstad Brasserie, a casual chic brasserie serving traditional French classics with a modern, international twist.
- Hèt Terras, the ultimate Summer hotspot and one of the largest outdoor terraces in Amsterdam on the canal.
- Promenade is the luxurious lobby lounge that serves High Tea and an extensive selection of the most exclusive high end beverage brands
- Freddy’s Bar named after Mr. Alfred ‘Freddy’ Heineken serving an outstanding selection of cocktails, famous for its Bloody Mary – only bar that serves Light Heineken Beer on tap outside the US
- Fumoir, Indoor Cigar Lounge, equipped with the finest selection of cigars - known for being the gentleman’s club
- Les Caves De L’Europe, the hotel’s impeccable wine cellar, which holds 8.000 bottles and 800 labels - exclusive tours available with our Head Sommelier that has more than 20 years’ experience (He makes his own wine!)
- Segway Tours
- Jean Schmidtz Boat tour. An Exclusive 75 minute tour by salon boat for an unforgettable Boating experience.
- Breakfast Cruise on one of our beautiful small salon boats
- Daytrip to Leiden to visit Naturalis and The Hague for a visit to Madurodam. (for our young guests between 6 and 12 years old)